I am welcoming this stunning spring weather with arms wide open. Spring is the perfect time to “reboot” your exercise goals and increase your level of physical activity, which means your water intake needs to increase as well. For my European and American readers, don’t worry this article applies to your working out needs as well!
In April I wrote an article about strategies to keep you hydrated. If you missed it, you can read it here – but, be sure to read on before you do!
I have been working out like a madman – at least four days a week, five if I actually make it to the gym on a Sunday. Funny story: JD and I got ready and went to the gym on Sunday, we got there and the doors were closed! Whoops – at least we tried, right?
Today I thought I would write about water intake while you’re exercising (before and after), because until a month ago I never really considered it, so maybe you haven’t either? I have since learned drinking water during exercise is essential if you want to get the most out of your workout and feel good while you’re doing it.
Did you know that losing 2% of your body weight in fluid can decrease performance by up to 25%? Your ability to perform can decline with a very small amount of dehydration, so make sure you keep up your fluids before and after exercising. Also, You may need to drink more if you’re sweating heavily, especially if you’re exercising outdoors in very hot weather.
I have noticed that I reach for my drink bottle every few reps when I exercise – and more when I am running! I feel absolutely dead on the treadmill if I’m not replenishing my fluids. I work-out for longer and feel stronger throughout my workouts when I am hydrated.
When you’re exercising you’re more likely to lose water from both sweating and through your breath – Renee Melton
Lately I have been using my BRITA Fill & Serve water filter carafe to pre-fill my gym bottle at home before heading out the door. The filter disk inside the BRITA Fill & Serve filters out impurities, so having better tasting water means I drink a lot more. Yes, I have been obsessed since I bought it in April!! Ha, see, some bloggers post on things more than once! My friends all stayed two weekends ago and they thought it was such a great product too!
TIPS – based on exercise. This all differs based on weight, gender, height and the amount of time / intensity of your workout. Please refer to a health professional or this graph if you want to know more. These are just guidelines and what works for me. NB: I am not a trained professional.
• Within an hour or so of training, drink a few glasses of water so you start well hydrated.
• While training you can drink a glass (200-300mls or 8-10 ounces) or so of water for every 15 minutes you train, especially if you’re sweating it out.
• Don’t go overboard with water intake.
• If you’re only exercising moderately for a small amount of time just drink as you normally would
• Increase amount if you’re training harder as you’ll be sweating more!
• When you’re finished drink around 300mls (8 ounces) no later than 30 minutes after you exercise.
I hope you all have found this interesting! And remember: STAY HYDRATED!
Disclaimer: This advice is general only and does not replace the advice of your doctor or exercise physiologist.
MARCS TSHIRT, RUNNING BARE TIGHTS, VANS
BRITA FILL & SERVE
SHARE THE LOVE
If you liked today’s post, be sure to hit the share button! And follow on the below channels so you stay up to date!
* This article is presented in partnership with Brita – All opinions are my own and I only ever post on products I 100% believe in and use in my daily life. We take our partnerships seriously, which is why we’ll never collaborate with a brand unless we profoundly believe in their products or ethics. All information is my honest opinion.