When it comes to skincare and new products on the market, I love trialling them for a good 2-3 weeks before I come to you ranting or raving about just how good or not so good they are. 2-3 weeks is generally my go-to amount of time as I don’t think you can see any sort of result or difference in your skin before then. It takes some adjusting, and you may experience a little bit of a trouble period before your skin works out if it, in fact, likes a product or not.
The amount of products that I can test out during a given month can sometimes be on the larger end of the scale; especially when it comes to skincare. Part of my job is to test, try, and tell you guys about all my new discoveries and things I’m currently obsessed with right? Over the years of writing on Substance I have learned what brands I love based on ingredients and also brand messaging and ethos. Jurlique has been a brand I have been very loyal to over the past three years. I began using their products when I was blogging at MidCity, which seems like a proverbial lifetime ago. I guess you could say that was my introduction to the incredible brand. Actually, today I am going to throw in a very old blog post from 2014, albeit crappy. I am so glad I have learned to take a photo now, and, uh, not throw a horrible pink filter over things. Jeepers. C’mon Ally.
When it comes to writing a review or a blog post for you on skincare, I always think “how effective is a review when you’ve only used it once or twice?”, so rest assured that I have washed and slathered cream all over my face for a good part of a month and these products are well on their way to becoming empty.
In February, I spoke about how we should all be caring for our skin in our 20s and today I thought I would update the list of products I have trialled and tested, and have now introduced into my routine. I have really tried to adopt a natural approach when it comes to ingredients, but sometimes the ingredient lists can be downright confusing. AMIRITE? I have found that there has been an increase in marketing hype lately and nature-inspired labelling, which is great, but they do not always deliver on what they promise. Well that’s definitely what I have found over the years.
When I first began using Jurlique I researched their ingredients and brand message and was so impressed by their biodynamic farming principles. I think it is so important to know what you’re putting on your skin and where it comes from. I’ll quickly bring you up to speed: Their essential oils, essential oil blends and Jojoba Oil are 100 percent natural and their mission as a brand is to eventually become 95% all natural. It’s worth noting that the reason why they aren’t 100% natural is because it’s sometimes necessary to use synthetic ingredients to ensure products are effective and of superior quality for all of us.
If you have been a long time follower of Substance you would know that one of my priorities when it comes to skincare is maintaining a healthy and glowing complexion – well duh, most girls want that I hear you say, and you’re so right. The way to good skin is to maintain a consistent routine. I cannot stress that enough. I like my routine to be very minimal, yet effective. Make sure you consistently do the below. Yes, that means daily girls. Think about it…if you were driving a car and decided to eliminate oil, then the rest of the car would suffer. Skincare is somewhat similar. Remove a step or forget a day and it’s so easy for your skin to go downhill.
Post realisation that my 20s should be a time to seriously nurture my complexion, because it’s all about prevention, baby, here are the latest products I have been loving.
While my steps won’t be anything groundbreaking or differ from your own, it’s the products that make all the difference.
- Cleanse: I have been using the Jurlique Clarifying Deep Cleansing Gel
- Tone / exfoliate: I then love to exfoliate so my skin rejuvenates and my skin is smooth for makeup
- Moisturiser: Apply the nourishing day cream. Jurlique’s new Herbal Recovery Advanced Day Cream is good to start using now if you are in your 20s, as it targets the appearance of those first signs of ageing; including fine lines, dull skin and dryness. It smells so good (like all Jurlique products) and is enriched with Japanese Cedar Bud extract and 18 active botanicals so skin is left feeling smooth and youthfully radiant. What I really love about this moisturiser is that it is lightweight and silky, yet it still has a rich blend that refreshes dry skin and deeply nourishes the complexion. I didn’t take it to the snow a fortnight ago and I really noticed the difference around my nose and chin area. That area is lackluster at the best of times for me, but this moisturiser has really improved the dryness of my skin.
- Eye cream: This step is one I am so bad with and have tried to become a little more diligent with applying this. I do notice a difference when I do. The undereye is such a delicate area and I notice if I keep things moisturised my makeup sits a lot better too. I have been using the Jurlique Herbal Recovery Advanced Eye Serum, which is also a part of their Herbal Recovery range. It is so smooth and light; and I love how quickly is absorbs. For an added extra, store in the fridge so it is cooling / soothing.
- Sunscreen: I can not stress how important this step is in the morning!
- Lip balm: I can’t not apply this after I have done my face. It’s something I swear by otherwise my lips look like the Sahara Desert.
I hope you have loved reading about my new additions. Let me know if you have any questions or anything to add!
In collaboration with Jurlique. As always, all opinions and creative content are my own. We only work with brands that share the same ethics and values.