Over-packing is my forte. I am the master of it. I am so crap at packing beauty essentials when it comes to traveling.
“Then why am I taking your advice?“, I hear you say.
Wait up, wait up. I have learned a thing or two.
Just wait. I can assure you I have picked up some tips along the way from friends, fellow blogger and I am now ruthless.
Downsizing my beauty bag is a new thing for me. I have only just learned I don’t in fact need to carry those 20 eye shadows I have never used or a blush so bright it makes me look like I have just completed an ultra marathon when I swipe it over the apples of my cheeks. In fact, in addition to being left them at home, they should be removed from my makeup collection completely.
I find it so hard to leave the house with minimal things, but I also find it frustrating trying to fit everything into a carry on bag or even my huge four wheel Crumpler suitcase. I have sat on top of them while trying to close the zip simultaneously far too many times.
I know have my beauty essentials down to a fine art based on knowing what I used to take and not use.
So here is my list.
I used to pack day and night makeup and make sure I had enough “just encase”, now I pack the essentials and have it downpat to these 8 items.
- Foundation or BB Cream: At the moment I only have glass bottles, but it you’re wanting to save on space or weight, I would suggest packing a stick or tube instead. I have been using the Nars Lightweight foundation, but I need a darker colour for when I have a faux tan!
- Bronzer: Can be used as contour and eye shadow. Any product that has a double use is your best friend when traveling! I have been using the Benefit Hoola Bronzer as you would’ve seen in my tutorials.
- Mascara: If you’re packing light make sure you pack mascara, you can build it up to make a more dramatic look, even if you’re limited on other products. This Maxfactor one is amazing!
- Lipstick in nude and bright orange: These are a must and can transform a look day or night. They can also both be used as cheek, lip and eye colour. Mac and Witchery do amazing colours!
- Cream highlighter: Cream highlighter when traveling is so damn handy. It’s easier to use and can be used as an eye shadow too! This little bottle of sunlight is by Mecca and I adore it!
- Eye shadow palette: I try and pack a small travel size palette that has colours I can wear day and night. It also helps to have a inbuilt mirror too for when you find yourself without one or so you can do your makeup in transit. Witchery has the most beautiful colours at the moment!
- Eye shadow as liner: If you don’t have room for liner (they don’t take up space) but if you find yourself wanting to leave it at home, use a darker shade shadow on your lash line instead
- Eyebrow pencil: A small wind up brow pencil is great for traveling as it means you don’t have to worry about always having a sharpener handy. Also: it means you will keep your bag cleaner with no old sharpenings. I love this pencil. I picked it up three months ago and it still is going strong (a part from the spooly end I trod on that at Xmas and broke it off. Sad times). It’s by Anastasia Beverly Hills.
But yes, there is more.
I used to take the whole lot: cleanser, toner, moisturiser, hair treatment – you name it. Now I only take these three!
- Cleanser: Decanter it to make it smaller or use a travel size option. I am using this Swisse.
- SPF+: You will always need this, so make sure you pack it. Apply and re-apply even when you think you don’t need it. The Ella Bache one is the business. I used it all over Christmas!
- Rosehip oil: I love traveling with oil instead of moisturising cream as it can be used for hands, face, nails, hair. I am still using the Swisse oil from this post.
I used to pack every brush from my MAC or Zoeva, but have found that smaller brushes are easier to manage. You really can get away with three, or even a cute travel set like my Mecca set. You don’t have to travel with it in the hard case, you can just throw them in your bag!
Must haves for me:
- Blush/ bronzer/powder
- Brow brush
A simple bag that fits everything, including skincare products makes everything much more convenient and simpler.
Mine is from The Daily Edited.
- Dry shampoo
- Hair Brush
- Solid perfume or a travel size option of your favourite scent. I bought a solid one from Lush last year, but I think I have lost it in my move to Sydney!!