When I was writing the title for this blog post, I couldn’t help but think back to when wearing jeans to the work place, or anywhere other than somewhere casual on the weekend would have been a huge faux pas. That’s exactly what I love about fashion – trends change and things become much more ubiquitous.
With the influx of high-end designers recreating denim, it just goes to show the market is stronger than ever. If Vetements and Acne price tag are anything to go by, it shows the the humble pair of jeans have come a long way and have definitely secured themselves a high position in a fashion lover’s wardrobe rotation. It’s not only the high-end designers making luxe denim. High Street are creating some pretty fantastic pieces too – exhibit A; the jeans I am wearing today by Forever New. European denim and so comfortable.
When it comes to every day style I love pairing casual pieces with more sophisticated items to create a strong, yet laid back look. This style philosophy is basically ingrained into us Australian girls. For me – nothing beats laid back, minimalism. The simplicity of a great pair of jeans, a clean white T and blazer makes for one of the most versatile outfits around. To make it appropriate for different occasions all you need to do is make some accessory changes. With that in mind, I thought I would share some ways you can wear your favourite pair of jeans to the office.
I think it is so great that more and more office’s are embracing a casual-professional vibe when it comes to work wear. I think that it’s so outdated to expect women to wear tight black dresses and heels, or pencil skirts and blouses. I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t know anyone who fits into that kind of cookie cutter mold.
I think it’s fantastic that it’s becoming increasingly commonplace to be able to wear smart casual items like jeans to work. With that in mind, your jeans are for dressing up, not dressing down. You still need to look polished and office appropriate.
- Add a blazer: I personally like a longer lined shape that’s slightly tailored in at the waist and sits strong on the shoulders. Black is so versatile and I also love my white Witchery one from this blog post.
- The colour counts: The colour of your denim makes all the difference. Opt for a darker shade of blue and definitely steer clear of light washes.
- The style: I personally think skinny or straight leg jeans are much more office appropriate than boyfriend jeans. Skinny jeans are just so sleek and with a blazer look incredible.
- Add a heel: As much as I am an advocate for jeans and sneakers, if you’re choosing to wear jeans to the office you most certainly need to pair them with heels. You can never go wrong with a nude or black pump or strappy, block heels.
- But what top?: A lot of people will tell you not to wear a t-shirt if you’re wanting to appear “smart casual”. I hate fashion rules and think you should be able to wear anything. If you are wearing a t-shirt it’s important to balance this casualness with heels and a blazer, like me today. If you’re needing to dress up a little more, simply add a silk or cotton blouse.
- Curl your hair: When it comes to wearing jeans to work, make sure you put a little more effort into your hair. Curl it or straighten it, don’t just top-knot it.
- Accessories: I know not everyone can take a backpack as their bag to work, so trade out to a tote so you can fit your laptop and everything in!
You can shop this look at Forever New Mid City
GET THE LOOK